Monday, February 18, 2013

The Melting Pot La Jolla

So hello again everybody! I'm back for post numero dos and today I am featuring my fantastic little restaurant, The Melting Pot, no less! This is monumental. Rarely do I follow through with anything, so let's keep our fingers crossed that this lovely little blog keeps rolling.

I apologize if this post isn't as thorough as my first; I've been to The Melting Pot so many times I'll probably take a lot of details for granted, but I'll do my best! And my pictures didn't come out as great or look particularly appetizing, but there is a super cool video of chocolate on fire that I will hopefully be able to upload for you, my pyromaniac friends.

This is a copy of The Melting Pot's a la carte menu.

Traditional Swiss Cheese
Gruyere and Emmanthaler Swiss Cheese with White Wine, Garlic, Nutmeg, Lemon, and Kirschwasser

I usually get the spinach and artichoke cheese when I'm at the Melting Pot because I like it the best. It's the most mild and who doesn't love spinach and artichoke? Another plus is that the spinach and artichoke is made with a vegetable bouillon base while all the other cheeses are melted down with an alcoholic base. But to keep from getting too complacent, I thought I'd jazz it up and try something different so we decided to order the swiss. I've only had the just bites of leftovers of the swiss here and there during my shift and while I've had it once where it was really good, this swiss didn't really measure up. The Kirschwasser was incredibly strong--as was the nutmeg--and we got through maybe half of it before we decided to order another cheese.

Cheddar Cheese
Aged, Medium-Sharp Cheddar and Emmanthaler Swiss Cheeses, Lager Beer, Garlic and Seasonings

The cheddar cheese was a lot more mild--at least, the alcoholic after taste wasn't as strong. I still like the spinach and artichoke cheese better though. I like the white blend of Butterkase and Fontina much more than I like the cheddar. All of the cheeses are served with apples, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mixed bread. Ordering the Fiesta Cheese warrants a side of tortilla chips, too.

Virgin Sour Patch Cocktail
Originally made with: Stoli Raspberry Vodka, DeKuyper Sour Apple and Watermelon Puckers, Strawberry Puree, Lemon and Cranberry Juice, Sugared Rim

When the right bartender works, I usually get my pick of non-alcoholic drinks. 

French Quarter and Land & Sea in Bourguinonne
Premium Filet Mignon, All-Natural Breast of Chicken, and Pacific White Shrimp seasoned with Cajun spices accompanied with Andouille Sausage
Premium Filet Mignon, Herb-Crusted Chicken, and Pacific White Shrimp

The entree course is brought out unprepared on platters and then presented to you with instructions on how to cook your meat. We chose to do the bourguinnonne cooking style, which is a pot of canola oil. Pretty standard, very similar to Chinese hot pot. What differentiates The Melting Pot from the myriad of other hot pot-esque places are the accompanying sauces. Entrees are served with teriyaki, a yogurt-based curry, sweet and sour ginger plum, gorgonzola bleu cheese port, spicy horseradish cocktail, and green goddess sauces. You also get a basic tempura batter and a sesame tempura batter if you end up doing the bourguinonne. The best part of doing the bourguinonne is making stuffed mushroom caps! You stuff the mushroom cap with green goddess--a mix of sour cream, cream cheese, and chives--and then dip the mushroom in sesame tempura batter, after which you deep fry the battered mushroom cap. I'm pretty sure we also got the Pacific Rim entree, which includes teriyaki sirloin (my favorite) but it's not pictured here. Each entree plate is about $20-$30 and comes with several pieces of meat and although it looks small it generally ends up being really filling.

Flaming Turtle with Marshmallow Fluff and Amaretto
Milk Chocolate, Caramel, Candied Pecans, Marshmallow Fluff, Amaretto


Dessert is served with fresh strawberries, bananas, cheesecake, pound cake, brownies, Rice Krispie treats, oreo-crusted marshmallows, and graham cracker-crusted marshmallows. I feel like the bananas, Rice Krispies, and marshmallows pair really well with the chocolate, but everything else with the exception of strawberries--which I like plain more than covered in chocolate--is too rich to eat along with chocolate. I really like the dark chocolate here. Usually I order the cookies and cream, but Lucy doesn't like oreos at all so we got the Flaming Turtle instead. All the desserts are highly customizable and the marshmallow fluff and amaretto really added to the dessert. You can request for any of the desserts to be flambeed tableside, which is always fun. 

The servers at The Melting Pot really go above and beyond, but Tony is especially great (we had him tonight). Service at The Melting Pot is generally very attentive and personalized because the dining experience takes about 2-3 hours, giving the server a lot of time to get to know their dining patrons. I probably wouldn't dine at The Melting Pot without my employee discount, and even with it, I can only afford to go once every two months, but it's always fun as long as you go with good company.

The menu has since been completely revamped since the pictures taken for this post, as we are now catering to a more family-style and value-oriented approach. It has a lot of the same options from the old menu but some new offerings and I can't wait to try The Melting Pot under this new menu philosophy. 

The Melting Pot
8980 University Center Lane
La Jolla, CA 92122

1 comment:

  1. Many people have voiced their disapproval of the high Melting Pot prices on numerous occasions. But when the delectable fondue dishes are taken into account, most clients think it's the best deal! In actuality, the distinctive fondue dining experience is well worth the cost. The chain of fondue restaurants has consistently supplied top-notch cheese and chocolate fondues. More than 150 locations may be found in the US, Canada, and Mexico. Visit this page to learn the costs of the menu. melting pot menu

    ReplyDelete